Low in fat and sodium-free. Brown rice Contains only 108 calories per Ω cup serving.
Brown rice contains the same nutritional elements as white rice, but is also an excellent source of:
- Dietary fiber
- When brown rice is milled and polished to produce white kernels, 67% of vitamin B3, 80% of vitamin B1, 90% of vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids are removed.
- One cup of brown rice provides 88% of the daily supply of manganese. Manganese helps produce energy from protein and carbohydrates and is involved in the synthesis of fatty acids, which are important to a healthy nervous system. Manganese is a critical component of important antioxidant enzyme called superoxide dismutase (SOD).
- Incorporating whole grains into your diet can help you lose weight! Women consuming the most dietary fiber from whole grains were 49% less likely to gain weight compared to those eating foods from refined grains.
- Plant lignans are found in whole grains, including brown rice. Plant lignans are converted by friendly flora in our intestines into mammalian lignans, one of which is called enterolactone. Enterolactone is thought to protect against breast and other hormone-dependent cancers as well as heart disease.
- Magnesium is rich in whole grains and brown rice and acts as a co-factor for more than 300 enzymes, including enzymes involved in the body's use of glucose and insulin secretion. This can substantially lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Magnesium also works to balance the action of calcium, thereby regulating nerve and muscle tone.
[Related Content: This information originated from <http://whfoods.org> This information can appear as text or logo.]
Start your next spring brunch with this deliciously light soup made with fresh zucchini. Perfect with long or medium-grain white rice or a Black Japonica blend. Continue Reading
In this side dish, brown rice gets help from a supporting cast of crunchy pine nuts, high fibre apricots and savoury feta. This accompaniment also scores major points for presentation with the rice served from the heart of an artichoke. Continue Reading
Made with rich dark chocolate, a punch of espresso and rice flour, guests won’t believe that these deliciously decadent, fudgy brownies are really gluten-free! These thick and rich brownies are a must for family gatherings and holiday cocktail parties alike. Continue Reading