Low in fat and sodium-free. Brown rice Contains only 108 calories per Ω cup serving.
Brown rice contains the same nutritional elements as white rice, but is also an excellent source of:
- Dietary fiber
- When brown rice is milled and polished to produce white kernels, 67% of vitamin B3, 80% of vitamin B1, 90% of vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids are removed.
- One cup of brown rice provides 88% of the daily supply of manganese. Manganese helps produce energy from protein and carbohydrates and is involved in the synthesis of fatty acids, which are important to a healthy nervous system. Manganese is a critical component of important antioxidant enzyme called superoxide dismutase (SOD).
- Incorporating whole grains into your diet can help you lose weight! Women consuming the most dietary fiber from whole grains were 49% less likely to gain weight compared to those eating foods from refined grains.
- Plant lignans are found in whole grains, including brown rice. Plant lignans are converted by friendly flora in our intestines into mammalian lignans, one of which is called enterolactone. Enterolactone is thought to protect against breast and other hormone-dependent cancers as well as heart disease.
- Magnesium is rich in whole grains and brown rice and acts as a co-factor for more than 300 enzymes, including enzymes involved in the body's use of glucose and insulin secretion. This can substantially lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Magnesium also works to balance the action of calcium, thereby regulating nerve and muscle tone.
[Related Content: This information originated from <http://whfoods.org> This information can appear as text or logo.]
These shrimp cakes are a breeze to prepare and make a delightful grilled appetizer to serve when hosting a barbecue. The recipe doubles or triples easily to make a big batch for a crowd. Continue Reading
Easy to prepare for a weekday meal or sophisticated enough for a weekend dinner party, the Curry Chicken and Rice Casserole meets the demands of today's conscientious foodies. Healthy ingredients, rich in fiber and delicious wholesome flavours will make this your new go-to recipe. Continue Reading
This great summer meal idea features rice with sweet plum tomatoes, highlighting the smokey flavours of Gouda cheese and turkey in a creamy garlic cilantro dressing. Celebrate summer and try this dish on its own for lunch or with dinner after a day of fun in the sun. Continue Reading