The Rice Flour Alternative
When wheat and wheat flours are not used in baking recipes the final product tends to be coarser and denser.
Suggestions For Rice Flour
- Include brown rice flour and rice bran in soups, casseroles and baked goods to add more fiber.
- Add dried fruits, nuts or chocolate chips to batters to improve flavour and moisture-retaining qualities of baked goods.
- Bake gluten-free items in smaller sizes - like cupcakes, muffins, and biscuits; bake quick breads in mini loaf pans for better texture.
Substitutions With Rice Flour
- Thicken sauces, gravies and cream pies with rice flour.
Chef's Tip: Use the same amount of rice flour as wheat flour. Whisk rice flour and liquid together and heat over medium heat until bubbles first appear for a smoother mixture.
- Combine dry cream of rice or dry crushed rice cereal with dried herbs and spices to make a tasty breading for fish, meat, or poultry.
- Substitute rice flour for wheat flour in recipes: 7/8 cup brown or white rice flour (1 cup minus 2 Tbsp.) = 1 cup wheat flour
This sinfully sweet rice pudding is creamy without the cream, making it a vegan's delight. A warm and luscious fig and raspberry compote tops this cinnamon and lemon infused rice pudding for the perfect after dinner treat. Use fortified rice milk for extra calcium. Continue Reading
A delicious combination of bitter rapini, rice, sweet caramelized onions and spicy Italian sausage, this dish is quick to prepare and uses many common pantry items. Perfect for any night of the week, families will love this well-rounded one-pot wonder! Continue Reading
Deliciously healthy and quick to prepare, Lemon Rice is a perfect addition to just about any meal. Try substituting a U.S. Black Japonica rice variety for visual appeal. Continue Reading