The Rice Flour Alternative
When wheat and wheat flours are not used in baking recipes the final product tends to be coarser and denser.
Suggestions For Rice Flour
- Include brown rice flour and rice bran in soups, casseroles and baked goods to add more fiber.
- Add dried fruits, nuts or chocolate chips to batters to improve flavour and moisture-retaining qualities of baked goods.
- Bake gluten-free items in smaller sizes - like cupcakes, muffins, and biscuits; bake quick breads in mini loaf pans for better texture.
Substitutions With Rice Flour
- Thicken sauces, gravies and cream pies with rice flour.
Chef's Tip: Use the same amount of rice flour as wheat flour. Whisk rice flour and liquid together and heat over medium heat until bubbles first appear for a smoother mixture.
- Combine dry cream of rice or dry crushed rice cereal with dried herbs and spices to make a tasty breading for fish, meat, or poultry.
- Substitute rice flour for wheat flour in recipes: 7/8 cup brown or white rice flour (1 cup minus 2 Tbsp.) = 1 cup wheat flour
Enjoy the wild side of one of the most widely used herbs. Thyme blends well with almost everything and adds great flavor to this Greek-style salad.
A perfect breakfast for entertaining large groups over the holidays, hosts can relax and let people serve themselves. Simply assemble all of the ingredients in the slow cooker before going to bed and forget about it until you're ready for breakfast in the morning. Continue Reading
For an exciting Asian touch, serve this refreshing summer side salad. This recipe combines rice vinegar and coconut milk with the nutty flavour of US Jasmine rice to create a flavourful nest for chilled shrimp. Continue Reading