The Rice Flour Alternative
When wheat and wheat flours are not used in baking recipes the final product tends to be coarser and denser.
Suggestions For Rice Flour
- Include brown rice flour and rice bran in soups, casseroles and baked goods to add more fiber.
- Add dried fruits, nuts or chocolate chips to batters to improve flavour and moisture-retaining qualities of baked goods.
- Bake gluten-free items in smaller sizes - like cupcakes, muffins, and biscuits; bake quick breads in mini loaf pans for better texture.
Substitutions With Rice Flour
- Thicken sauces, gravies and cream pies with rice flour.
Chef's Tip: Use the same amount of rice flour as wheat flour. Whisk rice flour and liquid together and heat over medium heat until bubbles first appear for a smoother mixture.
- Combine dry cream of rice or dry crushed rice cereal with dried herbs and spices to make a tasty breading for fish, meat, or poultry.
- Substitute rice flour for wheat flour in recipes: 7/8 cup brown or white rice flour (1 cup minus 2 Tbsp.) = 1 cup wheat flour
Canada's Guide to Healthy Eating translates the science of eating well into a practical pattern of food choices that meets nutrient needs, promotes health and minimizes the risk of chronic diseases. This savoury pie recipe makes getting the recommended meats, dairy products, vegetables and grains easy by cleverly including all food groups in a rice crust. Continue Reading
A quick fix for lunch or dinner, this twist on a traditional Greek salad is a meal in itself. For quick preparation, dice vegetables and combine with rice mixture. Continue Reading
Expect "oohs" and "ahhs" at your next barbecue or picnic when you pull out this spectacular salad. Continue Reading